News is not available yet.

Midfielder Marc Guehi scored for Manchester City on Sunday (Picture: Getty Images) Marc Guehi was a surprise selection in Manchester City’s midfield against Bournemouth on Sunday, but enjoyed his new position under Enzo Maresca. The England international lined up in the middle of the park alongside summer signing Elliot Anderson at the Etihad. When Marcus Tavernier gave the Cherries the lead in the 26th minute it looked like a gamble that was not paying off for the new boss. However, after a long wait for an equaliser it was Guehi who provided it, heading in on 84 minutes. Exclusive Premier League previews Get ahead of the start of the season with our weekly football newsletter. Sign up now for free. As the clock ticked into injury time, Josko Gvardiol then produced a brilliantly taken winner to earn three points for City from behind. Guehi has spent his career playing at centre-back but relished his more advanced role in the first Premier League game of the season. ‘I enjoyed it today,’ he told the BBC. ‘Simply because I had so much help from every single person, and so much support from the team, and when you have that, you feel comfortable to just go out, play, and do what you can for the team.’ Guehi headed in the equaliser after missing a big chance earlier (Picture: AP Photo) Maresca did have both Nico Gonzalez and Mateo Kovacic on the bench against Bournemouth, but explained why he fancied Guehi alongside Anderson. ‘In this moment it’s a matter of finding a solution,’ he told a post-match press conference. ‘I know Marc from [Crystal] Palace and always thought he could play midfielder because he’s very good. ‘Sometimes you visualise, we tried in the first two days in the week after the Arsenal game as a central defender stepping [up], and then tried in the last two days as a proper midfielder. And I think it was quite a good performance from him. ‘Now the good thing is now he gives us solutions for the future.’ Enzo Maresca narrowly avoided dropping points in his first Premier League outing as Manchester City boss (Picture: AP Photo) Moroccan midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi is about to arrive from Lille, which may mean Guehi’s venture into midfield will be short-lived. However, Maresca would not comment on the expected deal to sign the 18-year-old, saying: ‘To be honest, I didn’t see no one from the club. So after the press conference, I will see them. So please wait, because I don’t know if there are any updates at the moment. So probably you’re more updated than me.’ Manchester City are back in action on Friday night at Crystal Palace and Maresca will be tempted to make changes to his starting XI. No mistakes this time from Marc Guehi 😤 pic.twitter.com/xlCJXWUzz6— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) August 23, 2026 Rayan Cherki came on for the final half hour and provided the assists for both Guehi and Gvardiol’s goals. Phil Foden started in the no.10 role but his place will be under threat from the Frenchman. Elliot Anderson limped out of the game in the second half, but Maresca suggested that he would be fit for the trip to Selhurst Park. ‘I think it was cramp,’ said Maresca of the England midfielder. ‘We still have four or five players that are not 100 per cent and he is one of them.’ Comment now Comments Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source
Elliot Anderson suffered an injury during Man City’s win over Bournemouth (Photo: Getty) Enzo Maresca has given an update on Elliot Anderson after he came off injured during Manchester City’s 2-1 win over Bournemouth on Sunday. After being humiliated by Arsenal on his debut in the Community Shield last week, Maresca was on course to lose his first Premier League match since replacing Pep Guardiola in the City dugout. Marcus Tavernier gave Bournemouth a shock lead at the Etihad, with City struggling to get to grips with Maresca’s tactics, which included defender Marc Guehi bizarrely playing in midfield. But it was Guehi who got the Citizens back in the game, equalising late on before Joško Gvardiol scored in injury-time to snatch the three points for the home side. Exclusive Premier League previews Get ahead of the start of the season with our weekly football newsletter. Sign up now for free. But there was bad news for Maresca, as summer signing Anderson went down on the pitch during the second-half, feeling his hamstring after a collision with Alex Scott. The midfielder, who started every game bar one for England at the World Cup, was able to get to his feet but was quickly substituted for Mateo Kovacic. The sight of Anderson limping off the pitch in his first league game since his record-breaking £116million transfer from Nottingham Forest, is not one City fans wanted to see. Anderson was immediately subbed off for Mateo Kovacic (Photo: Getty) But Maresca has allayed fears of any painful injury, revealing Anderson was just suffering from cramp as a result of not having a proper pre-season following the World Cup. ‘I think it was cramp,’ The Italian told reporters after full-time. ‘We still have four or five players that are not 100 per cent and he is one of them.’ He later added in his post-match press conference: ‘Today we had four or five players that arrived very late, 10 days ago, so for them it’s almost still pre-season. Marc Guehi and Josko Gvardiol scored to secure Enzo Maresca’s first Man City win (Photo: Getty) ‘Erling [Haaland] is one, Elliot, Marc Guehi, Nico O’Reilly, so it’s complicated. But they’ve done a huge effort to help.’ There’s a quick turnaround to City’s next game away to Crystal Palace on Friday night. Asked about Andersons performance against Bournemouth, Maresca added: ‘He was very good. Elliot was very good on the ball, very good off the ball. ‘I have a good feeling with Elliot that he’s going to be better and better. Again, for him this was like pre-season. He arrived 10 days ago but the feeling with him is that he’s going to be very good for this club in the future.’ City’s midfield is being completely rebuilt this season, with Rodri, Bernardo Silva and Tijjani Reijnders having departed, while shortly before kick-off it was reported that City have agreed an £85.6m deal to sign Lille teenager Ayyoub Bouaddi. For more stories like this, check our sport page. Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Comment now Comments Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source
Liverpool are not done remodelling the frontline for the 2026/27 season. Victor Munoz has been brought in for £34m after Richard Hughes triggered the Spain FIFA World Cup winner’s Osasuna release c...
Ismaila Sarr continues to be linked with a move away from Crystal Palace this summer. Multiple clubs are interested in the 28-year-old attacker, and the Eagles will demand £50 million to sell the player. The attacker has recently been linked with Liverpool as well. Ismaila Sarr could join Manchester United According to TEAMtalk, Manchester United […] The post Manchester United eye £50m Liverpool-linked attacker as transfer battle heats up appeared first on CaughtOffside.
Ismaila Sarr has been linked with a move away from Crystal Palace this summer, and Liverpool have been mentioned as a potential destination. He has been linked with Turkish clubs like Galatasaray, but reporter Nezvat Dindar claims that Liverpool could be an option for the player. Ismaila Sarr could join Liverpool It is no secret […] The post Liverpool eye 28-year-old attacking star with a sensational record against them appeared first on CaughtOffside.
Tap a headline to view metadata and excerpt fields in Sportra, then use the article website button to continue on the original publisher page.