
‘If Cristiano plays against us, it will be a pleasure for everyone,’ says Al Riyadh boss ahead of Al Nassr clash
Cristiano Ronaldo could make his season debut for Al Nassr in the match against Al Riyadh for the Saudi Pro League. Whether Cristiano Ronaldo actually takes the field on Friday for his Al Nassr’s season debut remains uncertain, but he’s at least back in the conversation. The 41-year-old has yet to make an appearance this season after missing his team opening two matches following his preseason absence. He returned to individual training earlier this week, and while there’s no guarantee he starts, Ronaldo has been included in Ange Postecoglou’s 21-man squad list for the trip to face Al Riyadh, opening the door for him to feature in some capacity even if it’s not from the opening whistle. Ahead of the match, Al Riyadh coach Mauricio Dulac had nothing but praise for the possibility of facing him. “When we talk about Ronaldo, we are talking about a legend, someone who has made history in football and in the world of football. If Cristiano plays against us, it will be a pleasure for everyone,” Dulac said during a press conference. Al Nassr head into the match on a two-match winning run, having opened the Saudi Pro League with a 3-0 win over Al Fateh and cruising 4-1 past Al Diriyah in the King’s Cup. For Al Riyadh, who dropped their season opener 4-2 to Al Ettifaq, the match carries extra weight as they’ll need to win to get their campaign back on track. That’s a wrap on preparations 🎬💛Matchday next ⏭️ pic.twitter.com/2Vidi3Bu7s— AlNassr FC (@AlNassrFC_EN) August 20, 2026 Dulac struck an optimistic tone about the challenge ahead. “They are a very good team with an extremely strong squad and many stars. But I think that is also very good for us, because when we play against good players and very strong teams, we raise our own level as well,” the Brazilian coach added. Postecoglou won’t have his full squad available While Ronaldo’s potential return would give Postecoglou a major boost, it comes as Al Nassr also deals with six absences for the Al Riyadh match. The missing players are Saad Al Nasser, Samu Costa, Mohamed Simakan, Mohamed Maran, Raghed Al Najjar, and Abdulrahman Ghareeb. Per Arriyadiyah, the absences of Costa and Simakan in particular are tied to squad management rather than injury, with Postecoglou opting to rest the Portugal midfielder and France defender due to fatigue after a congested start to the season.




