Match story
- Villarreal created the clearer chances on xG (2.48 vs 1.16, Δ 1.32).
- Villarreal fired more attempts (14 vs 9 shots).
- Villarreal was more accurate in front of goal (57% on target vs 44%).
Villarreal defeated Atletico Madrid 5-1 in La Liga. The fixture is part of the Regular Season - 38 stage in the 2025 season. The match was played at Estadio de la Ceramica in Villarreal. M. Sesma officiated the match. The full-time result capped a Villarreal vs Atletico Madrid meeting in La Liga with detailed post-match statistics available on Sportra. This match centre covers lineups, live events, player ratings, team statistics, xG, head-to-head history, and related news for Villarreal and Atletico Madrid. On Sportra you can view xG, lineups, match statistics, events, player ratings, predictions, head-to-head history, and related news for this fixture.
Recorded meetings: 20 (available previous meetings, not necessarily all-time).
Villarreal defeated Atletico Madrid 5-1 in La Liga. The fixture is part of the Regular Season - 38 stage in the 2025 season. The match was played at Estadio de la Ceramica in Villarreal. M. Sesma officiated the match. The full-time result capped a Villarreal vs Atletico Madrid meeting in La Liga with detailed post-match statistics available on Sportra. This match centre covers lineups, live events, player ratings, team statistics, xG, head-to-head history, and related news for Villarreal and Atletico Madrid. On Sportra you can view xG, lineups, match statistics, events, player ratings, predictions, head-to-head history, and related news for this fixture.
Recorded meetings: 20 (available previous meetings, not necessarily all-time).

Arsenal may be in luck as it seems Atletico Madrid striker Julian Alvarez is now reportedly increasingly open to joining the Gunners. The Argentina international has long been linked with Arsenal, and it’s easy to see him being a great fit for the Premier League champions. Despite also being strongly linked with Barcelona, it now […] The post From Spain: Top Arsenal transfer target increasingly open to joining after Mikel Arteta talks appeared first on CaughtOffside.

Wayne Rooney says Manchester United were ‘too passive’ in their defeat to Hull City (BBC) Wayne Rooney took aim at Luke Shaw’s ‘schoolboy’ defending during Manchester United’s 2-0 defeat to Hull City on Saturday. Michael Carrick’s side began their new Premier League campaign with a defeat at the MKM Stadium as first-half goals from Semi Ajayni and Nobel Mendy sealed the win for Hull. United also struggled to create chances in attack but Rooney was unhappy with Shaw for the second goal as the left-back dropped off to play Hull’s entire attacking line onside. ‘This is schoolboy defending from Luke Shaw,’ Rooney said on BBC’s Match of the Day. Exclusive Premier League previews Get ahead of the start of the season with our weekly football newsletter. Sign up now for free. Man United had a good line, Hull would have been waiting for this all day, Luke Shaw drops in, he’s five yards behind his back line and if the ball is good enough, which it was, it’s impossible to stop.’ ‘Hull had a gameplan, they were getting balls into the penalty box, picking up second balls and Man United found it very difficult.’ Luke Shaw dropped off to play Hull’s attacking players onside for their second goal (BBC) Roney also believes that United were ‘too passive’ in their defeat to Hull and need to defend with more intensity. ‘I watched the AC Milan game last week and they [Hull] played the same system, they played with wing-backs and Man United really struggled to deal with that,’ Rooney said. Manchester United host Ipswich Town at Old Trafford next Sunday (Action Images via Reuters) ‘Maybe Hull have seen that game last week and changed it and I think fair play if that’s the case because they looked a really good team today. ‘It’s a strange quote from Bruno [about United making the same mistakes away from home], I think for Manchester United now to build on what they did last season, since Michael went in they finished third in the Premier League and got Champions League football, to build on that you have to become a team who teams are scared of playing against. ‘They sat in a mid block, didn’t get any pressure on the ball, I think they won two balls in Hull’s final third, there needs to be more energy in the press, how they go and win the ball back. Today was all too passive.’ For more stories like this, check our sport page. Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Comment now Comments Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source
Julian Alvarez's agent fired back at Atletico Madrid CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin, after the executive's comments about the forward's advisers. Julian Alvarez‘s representative fired back at Atletico Madrid CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin, escalating the growing tension between the club and the Argentine forward’s camp amid ongoing transfer speculation. The exchange stemmed from comments Gil Marin made to EFE, in which he insisted Atletico Madrid have no intention of letting Alvarez leave. “We have to understand that Julian has not had the best advisers around him regarding his professional career in recent months,” the Atletico Madrid CEO said, a remark widely read as a direct dig at the forward’s entourage. Alvarez’s agent, Fernando Hidalgo, responded within hours on Instagram, without naming Gil Marin directly. “Never ask a liar why he lied. To explain it, he would have to lie again,” Hidalgo wrote, a pointed rebuttal that has only intensified the public rift between the two sides. The spat comes against the backdrop of months of speculation over Alvarez’s future. The forward is under contract with Atletico Madrid until 2030 and carries a €500 million release clause, and while Arsenal recently emerged as a suitor, Alvarez himself reportedly turned down a move to the Premier League club, reportedly still holding out hope for a transfer to Barcelona. Este domingo, partido disfrutón ❤️🤍 pic.twitter.com/tYg5xUcRBx— Atlético de Madrid (@Atleti) August 22, 2026 Julian Alvarez set for his LaLiga season debut Amid the ongoing tension with the club, Julian Alvarez is expected to make his 2026-27 LaLiga debut when Atletico Madrid host Villarreal on August 23. The Argentine was left out of the squad entirely for the Matchday 1 win over Malaga, with Simeone citing his fitness level after a demanding run with Argentina at the 2026 World Cup. Simeone confirmed in a Saturday press conference that Alvarez would be included in the squad to face Villarreal. “Yes, he will enter tomorrow’s call-up, he’s better in his preparation. We will try to manage the difficult match tomorrow against a great rival“. The confirmation puts an end, at least for now, to speculation over whether the ongoing tension with Gil Marin’s camp would affect Alvarez’s playing time.
Following a tense situation between Julian Alvarez and the Atletico Madrid fanbase, coach Diego Simeone came out to clear things up ahead of the match against Villarreal. Diego Simeone returned to face reporters and moved to clarify his previous comments after being accused of tacitly backing the hostile treatment Julian Alvarez has received from a section of Atletico Madrid’s fanbase. “I want to finish the sentence I started at the last press conference, where I said I respected the fans. That’s absolute, it’s always been that way, but obviously I don’t support insults or abuse. Let that be clear. Any word right now, when people are waiting for that kind of division, can generate conflict and uncertainty,” Simeone said during a press conference. The controversy traces back to Atletico’s LaLiga opener against Malaga, when Alvarez wasn’t included in the squad, due to not being fully fit physically, and didn’t attend the match to support his teammates. A section of supporters responded with chants directed at the absent forward during the 2-0 win, and Simeone’s initial response, saying only that he respected the fans, was widely interpreted as siding with them rather than defending his player. Mañana, Villarreal. 💪 pic.twitter.com/F4yQKUgu4J— Atlético de Madrid (@Atleti) August 22, 2026 Before wrapping up, Simeone confirmed Alvarez will be included in the squad for Sunday’s match against Villarreal. “Yes, he’s going to be in the squad. He’s in better shape physically,” the coach said, setting up what could be Alvarez’s first minutes since the World Cup amid all the surrounding controversy. Simeone reaffirms Atletico’s stance on Alvarez’s future The Argentine coach also reaffirmed the club’s stance on Alvarez’s future, aligning himself with comments made by club official Miguel Ángel Gil Marín. “The uncertainties aren’t there. Miguel Ángel spoke clearly. For me, he’s an extremely important player for us to reach our sporting objectives. We’re going to be with him, we’re going to take care of him from a sporting standpoint. Why? Because he’s our player. As long as he’s at Atletico, I’m going to take care of him,” he added. The comments leave little doubt that, at least publicly, Atletico‘s hierarchy is presenting a united front on Alvarez’s situation, coach and club officials alike insisting he remains central to their plans regardless of how the transfer saga with Barcelona has played out.
NATHAN SALT: Many of Man United's mistakes were painfully familiar and captain Fernandes is tired of seeing them over and over again away from home.
Bruno Fernandes: ‘We gave too much of the ball to them’Sergej Jakirovic happy Hull proved critics wrongMichael Carrick says he will not overreact, but has called for improvement after Manchester United started the season with a 2-0 defeat at Hull. United lost their opening game for the fourth time in the past seven years as Semi Ajayi and Nobel Mendy took advantage of poor defending from set-pieces.The United head coach presented a professional exterior despite United’s performance not reaching the desired standard as they were deservedly beaten by Hull, who finished sixth in the Championship last season. Continue reading...
Even as the summer transfer window enters its final stretch, Julian Alvarez continues to harbour hopes of a move away from Atletico Madrid to FC Barcelona.However, so far, the Rojiblancos have made it...
Tap a headline to view metadata and excerpt fields in Sportra, then use the article website button to continue on the original publisher page.

Arsenal may be in luck as it seems Atletico Madrid striker Julian Alvarez is now reportedly increasingly open to joining the Gunners. The Argentina international has long been linked with Arsenal, and it’s easy to see him being a great fit for the Premier League champions. Despite also being strongly linked with Barcelona, it now […] The post From Spain: Top Arsenal transfer target increasingly open to joining after Mikel Arteta talks appeared first on CaughtOffside.

Wayne Rooney says Manchester United were ‘too passive’ in their defeat to Hull City (BBC) Wayne Rooney took aim at Luke Shaw’s ‘schoolboy’ defending during Manchester United’s 2-0 defeat to Hull City on Saturday. Michael Carrick’s side began their new Premier League campaign with a defeat at the MKM Stadium as first-half goals from Semi Ajayni and Nobel Mendy sealed the win for Hull. United also struggled to create chances in attack but Rooney was unhappy with Shaw for the second goal as the left-back dropped off to play Hull’s entire attacking line onside. ‘This is schoolboy defending from Luke Shaw,’ Rooney said on BBC’s Match of the Day. Exclusive Premier League previews Get ahead of the start of the season with our weekly football newsletter. Sign up now for free. Man United had a good line, Hull would have been waiting for this all day, Luke Shaw drops in, he’s five yards behind his back line and if the ball is good enough, which it was, it’s impossible to stop.’ ‘Hull had a gameplan, they were getting balls into the penalty box, picking up second balls and Man United found it very difficult.’ Luke Shaw dropped off to play Hull’s attacking players onside for their second goal (BBC) Roney also believes that United were ‘too passive’ in their defeat to Hull and need to defend with more intensity. ‘I watched the AC Milan game last week and they [Hull] played the same system, they played with wing-backs and Man United really struggled to deal with that,’ Rooney said. Manchester United host Ipswich Town at Old Trafford next Sunday (Action Images via Reuters) ‘Maybe Hull have seen that game last week and changed it and I think fair play if that’s the case because they looked a really good team today. ‘It’s a strange quote from Bruno [about United making the same mistakes away from home], I think for Manchester United now to build on what they did last season, since Michael went in they finished third in the Premier League and got Champions League football, to build on that you have to become a team who teams are scared of playing against. ‘They sat in a mid block, didn’t get any pressure on the ball, I think they won two balls in Hull’s final third, there needs to be more energy in the press, how they go and win the ball back. Today was all too passive.’ For more stories like this, check our sport page. Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Comment now Comments Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source
Julian Alvarez's agent fired back at Atletico Madrid CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin, after the executive's comments about the forward's advisers. Julian Alvarez‘s representative fired back at Atletico Madrid CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin, escalating the growing tension between the club and the Argentine forward’s camp amid ongoing transfer speculation. The exchange stemmed from comments Gil Marin made to EFE, in which he insisted Atletico Madrid have no intention of letting Alvarez leave. “We have to understand that Julian has not had the best advisers around him regarding his professional career in recent months,” the Atletico Madrid CEO said, a remark widely read as a direct dig at the forward’s entourage. Alvarez’s agent, Fernando Hidalgo, responded within hours on Instagram, without naming Gil Marin directly. “Never ask a liar why he lied. To explain it, he would have to lie again,” Hidalgo wrote, a pointed rebuttal that has only intensified the public rift between the two sides. The spat comes against the backdrop of months of speculation over Alvarez’s future. The forward is under contract with Atletico Madrid until 2030 and carries a €500 million release clause, and while Arsenal recently emerged as a suitor, Alvarez himself reportedly turned down a move to the Premier League club, reportedly still holding out hope for a transfer to Barcelona. Este domingo, partido disfrutón ❤️🤍 pic.twitter.com/tYg5xUcRBx— Atlético de Madrid (@Atleti) August 22, 2026 Julian Alvarez set for his LaLiga season debut Amid the ongoing tension with the club, Julian Alvarez is expected to make his 2026-27 LaLiga debut when Atletico Madrid host Villarreal on August 23. The Argentine was left out of the squad entirely for the Matchday 1 win over Malaga, with Simeone citing his fitness level after a demanding run with Argentina at the 2026 World Cup. Simeone confirmed in a Saturday press conference that Alvarez would be included in the squad to face Villarreal. “Yes, he will enter tomorrow’s call-up, he’s better in his preparation. We will try to manage the difficult match tomorrow against a great rival“. The confirmation puts an end, at least for now, to speculation over whether the ongoing tension with Gil Marin’s camp would affect Alvarez’s playing time.
Following a tense situation between Julian Alvarez and the Atletico Madrid fanbase, coach Diego Simeone came out to clear things up ahead of the match against Villarreal. Diego Simeone returned to face reporters and moved to clarify his previous comments after being accused of tacitly backing the hostile treatment Julian Alvarez has received from a section of Atletico Madrid’s fanbase. “I want to finish the sentence I started at the last press conference, where I said I respected the fans. That’s absolute, it’s always been that way, but obviously I don’t support insults or abuse. Let that be clear. Any word right now, when people are waiting for that kind of division, can generate conflict and uncertainty,” Simeone said during a press conference. The controversy traces back to Atletico’s LaLiga opener against Malaga, when Alvarez wasn’t included in the squad, due to not being fully fit physically, and didn’t attend the match to support his teammates. A section of supporters responded with chants directed at the absent forward during the 2-0 win, and Simeone’s initial response, saying only that he respected the fans, was widely interpreted as siding with them rather than defending his player. Mañana, Villarreal. 💪 pic.twitter.com/F4yQKUgu4J— Atlético de Madrid (@Atleti) August 22, 2026 Before wrapping up, Simeone confirmed Alvarez will be included in the squad for Sunday’s match against Villarreal. “Yes, he’s going to be in the squad. He’s in better shape physically,” the coach said, setting up what could be Alvarez’s first minutes since the World Cup amid all the surrounding controversy. Simeone reaffirms Atletico’s stance on Alvarez’s future The Argentine coach also reaffirmed the club’s stance on Alvarez’s future, aligning himself with comments made by club official Miguel Ángel Gil Marín. “The uncertainties aren’t there. Miguel Ángel spoke clearly. For me, he’s an extremely important player for us to reach our sporting objectives. We’re going to be with him, we’re going to take care of him from a sporting standpoint. Why? Because he’s our player. As long as he’s at Atletico, I’m going to take care of him,” he added. The comments leave little doubt that, at least publicly, Atletico‘s hierarchy is presenting a united front on Alvarez’s situation, coach and club officials alike insisting he remains central to their plans regardless of how the transfer saga with Barcelona has played out.
NATHAN SALT: Many of Man United's mistakes were painfully familiar and captain Fernandes is tired of seeing them over and over again away from home.
Bruno Fernandes: ‘We gave too much of the ball to them’Sergej Jakirovic happy Hull proved critics wrongMichael Carrick says he will not overreact, but has called for improvement after Manchester United started the season with a 2-0 defeat at Hull. United lost their opening game for the fourth time in the past seven years as Semi Ajayi and Nobel Mendy took advantage of poor defending from set-pieces.The United head coach presented a professional exterior despite United’s performance not reaching the desired standard as they were deservedly beaten by Hull, who finished sixth in the Championship last season. Continue reading...
Even as the summer transfer window enters its final stretch, Julian Alvarez continues to harbour hopes of a move away from Atletico Madrid to FC Barcelona.However, so far, the Rojiblancos have made it...
Tap a headline to view metadata and excerpt fields in Sportra, then use the article website button to continue on the original publisher page.